Individual therapy. A space for you to explore the challenges you experience in a safe, confidential setting.
What is Individual Therapy?
Individual therapy, sometimes referred to as psychotherapy or counseling, is pursued to address the following areas in one’s life:
- Individualized support
- Development of mood regulation skills
- Increase of awareness
- Development of coping skills
- Learning assertive communication strategies
- Decrease mental health symptoms
- Personal growth
- Increase perspective-taking skills
- Boost self-esteem/confidence
- Coping with stress
- Trauma recovery
- Guilt and shame
- Grief and loss
Can Individual Therapy Help Me?
As mentioned above, individual therapy can be beneficial to target many different challenges. However, timing is important. Therapy is a reciprocal, intentional, collaborative interaction between the person seeking therapy and the therapist. The therapist themself cannot create the change desired by the person seeking therapy. If you are ready to be active in the treatment process, then yes, therapy can help you transform your life.
How Does Therapy Help Actually Work?
Therapy works via many different components. The list below are some ways that individual therapy works to create change in a person’s life.
- Cognitive changes – people who engage in therapy learn how past ways of thinking keep them ‘stuck’ and work to develop new neural networks to literally ‘think’ differently.
- Behavioral interventions – therapy often suggests that a person try new things in life. These things or activities can create anxiety or stir up insecurities.
- Regulation skills – mental health therapy will focus on a person developing skills to manage their mood and their nervous system.
Most of these above changes will occur via verbal conversation, written homework/journaling, online/app programs.
What Should I Look for in a Therapist Near Me?
This is a great question. Not all therapists are created equal. It will be important for you to look for a therapist that:
- Matches your style (assertive or indirect in terms of giving feedback)
- Clinical training in the areas you are looking for support in
- Age range
- Matches the years of expertise you are looking for
Revitalize Mental Health offers a free 20-minute phone consultation to ensure goodness of fit. It is crucial that you bring specific questions to this interaction.