According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), in 2020, 8.4% of adults in the United States experienced a depressive episode. Click here to read more information from NAMI on Depression.
How Does Depression Affect My Life?
Depression can present differently for every person. Some may experience a number of the common depression symptoms. Whereas others may experience one or two symptoms more intensely than other symptoms.
Depression can impact many different domains of an individual’s life. The areas that depression symptoms can negatively influence can include but is not limited to:
- Ability to attend school/work
- Appropriately take care of yourself
- Think positively about yourself
- Getting ‘stuck’ when thinking about the past
- Shame and guilt related to Self-Harm and Suicidal Ideation
- The quality of your relationships with others
- Losing connections with others due to isolation
How To Beat Depression?
There are many effective psychotherapies that have been shown to decrease symptoms of depression and increase overall functioning. Some of these therapeutic modalities include:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy
Another effective strategy to address depression symptoms includes psychiatric medications. Medications are provided after meeting with a psychiatrist who understands mental health and their impacts on life. Dr. Singh at Highpoint Psychiatry comes highly recommended for those in the Denver area. For those who are north of Denver and do not want to commute, Dr. Ari Aal with Delos Psychiatry and Dr. Quinn Yen with Mindframe Psychiatry are fabulous resources to utilize.
Depending on the person seeking treatment, both psychiatric and psychotherapy interventions may be provided in tandem.
What Is The Cost of Depression?
This is a difficult question as the cost of depression on life varies; however, there are points to consider here.
- How much time do you spend away from work and how much does this cost?
- What is the cost of missing social gatherings or family celebrations?
- In terms of a person’s self-esteem, how much does negative thinking patterns tear you down?
A Cost to Consider Is The Invest In Mental Health Therapy?
If the investment in mental health therapy helps to better areas of your life then what would the return on that investment be? Could be exponential.
Does Therapy For Depression Work?
As noted above, ACT, CBT, and EMDR therapy can be effective in decreasing symptoms of depression. Each person’s recovery process is unique, and it is hard to predict the ‘time it takes to reach recovery.’ Commitment, persistence, and grit are crucial to supporting mental health growth.
Find A Depression Therapist Near Me
If you or someone you know is looking to find therapy for depression, we are currently accepting new clients. We offer in-person individual therapy in South Denver as well as virtual therapy in Colorado. Our appointment times are designed to meet people’s needs with both in-person and online therapy on the weekends as well as online therapy during the weekday evenings. Click here to submit a form to start your recovery process!